Saturday, August 13, 2011

Love and Pies - A Pie for Mikey

This is not a cooking blog nor do I think anyone should listen to anything I say about cooking.  However if you know me, you do know that I love to cook and you might even know of my cooking blog obsession.  How I have managed to not know about In Jennie's Kitchen is beyond me.  The manner that I have come to find out about her blog is very sad. 

Yesterday on many of the blogs that I follow, I started to see posts that people were titling a Pie for Mikey.  They also posted the following link from Jennifer Perillo's blog called for mikey.  Be prepared with tissues because it is heartbreaking.  Jennie's husband collapsed and died suddenly from a massive heart attack while riding bikes with his daughter's.  In an instant, he was gone and there were no goodbyes or I love you's.

The food blogging community immediately asked what they could do and she responded with what she felt would help her heal.  She wanted everyone to make Mikey's favorite pie - Creamy Peanut Butter Pie.  It had been on her list of thing to do but she hadn't quite gotten around to making it for him lately.  She wanted everyone to make this pie and share it with the people you love.

So today that is what I did.  I made a pie to honor Mikey and to share with people I love.  Since my husband is out of town this weekend, I will be sharing this pie with a friend I don't see very often and with my daughter who will be leaving for college soon.  As soon as my husband gets home, I'm going to make whatever food it is that he wants and loves.

Where ever you are and whatever you are doing make sure you cherish you time with the people you love.  You never know when there will be no more tomorrows with them.


Creamy Peanut Butter Pie
(Recipe adapted from In Jennie's Kitchen)

Serves 10 to 12

8 ounces chocolate cookies
4 tablespoons butter, melted
4 ounces finely chopped chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup chopped peanuts
1 cup heavy cream
8 ounces cream cheese
1 cup creamy-style peanut butter
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1 – 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

Add the cookies to the bowl of a food processor and pulse into fine crumbs. Combine melted butter and cookie crumbs in a small bowl, and stir with a fork to mix well. Press mixture into the bottom and 1-inch up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan.

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. Pour over bottom of cookie crust and spread to the edges using an off-set spatula. Sprinkle chopped peanuts over the melted chocolate. Place pan in the refrigerator while you prepare the filling.

Pour the heavy cream into a bowl and beat using a stand mixer or hand mixer until stiff peaks form. Transfer to a small bowl and store in refrigerator until ready to use. Place the cream cheese and peanut butter in a deep bowl. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and gradually beat in the confectioner's sugar. Add the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract and lemon juice. Increase speed to medium and beat until all the ingredients are combined and filling is smooth.

Stir in 1/3 of the whipped cream into the filling mixture (helps lighten the batter, making it easier to fold in the remaining whipped cream). Fold in the remaining whipped cream. Pour the filling into the prepared springform pan. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts and chocolate chips, and refrigerate for three hours or overnight before serving.

2 comments:

KB said...

What a beautiful and heartbreaking story.

(And yummy looking pie)

The Budding Gourmet Indian Food said...

very yummy Creamy Peanut Butter Pie